Monday, October 11, 2010

They Draw and Cook

Last week I submitted a recipe for Spam Musubi at They Draw and Cook. They were collecting illustrated recipes on their blog from artists with the hopes of publishing them published. There were around 40 recipes posted the first time I visited the blog so I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to get one of my illustrations published. After all with 40 entries the chances were pretty good that I would make the cut. Artists could illustrate the ingredients or procedures or maybe even illustrate both. The artist really only had one rule to follow, the illustration had to meet a specific size format and be mindful of the gutter (the area where the pages are bound together). Each recipe that was submitted before the deadline was going to be posted on their website and I had hoped to post a link to my recipe in this blog entry but as of this morning it still hadn’t been posted. For good reasons though, in the three days leading up to the deadline they received nearly 150 entries.


The submissions for the “recipe book” will be picked in the next few weeks and when they announce the recipes that made the cut I will let you know. Obviously, I am hoping that my recipe makes the cut but if it doesn’t I will post it here. In the mean time check out the recipes that have been posted. There are some tasty recipes there not to mention some great illustrations.

Correction: If I had looked closer I would have seen the "older posts" link at the bottom of the page.  There were well over 100 recipes the first time I look at the page.

Addendum: I received this e-mail yesterday
Hi - Just a quick note to let you know that we have received your recipe artwork (SPAM should pay you!) and will email you again on the day we post it to the blog. IF your recipe is selected to be printed in the book (!?!?), you'll probably know by the end of October (stay tuned to the blog for updates on that!).

Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate a recipe and to share it with us and the world - this blog is full of super fun and amazing art and it's all because of people like you.

Thanks again,

Nate and Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment