Monday, October 4, 2010

Illustrator Crit Groups

I just got back from my first illustrator group meeting today with a recharged battery and I am already looking forward to the next meeting. It was a small gathering with two established illustrators: Siri Weber Feeney and hosted by Carol Heyer and two other “pre-published-but-not-for-long” illustrators Linda Silverstri and Christy Botkin Reeves. Lots of great art! We spent a few hours looking at everyone’s portfolio, talking about contracts, agents and different illustration markets. Take a look at these websites and “Oooo and Ahhhh” at their art or better yet purchase something if it’s available to support them.

Speaking of different illustration markets I have begun looking in different markets (other than picture books) as well. I will still be seeking publishers for my books but I am also starting to look for ANYBODY who will buy my images. I spent the last two weeks researching and sending out submission to all kinds of greeting card companies. I am hopeful that I can find a company that will enjoy my illustrations as much as I do and want to print them on cards AND pay me. I recently updated my website so you can see my new greeting card designs that will be available in my store soon and will remain there until they are picked up by a national company.

I have also been following up on some leads in electronic books. I am particularly excited electronic books because I think the expansion of this market is only going to get bigger and it involves two things I love to do. 1. be a tech geek and B. Illustrate. If you have an iTunes account search the app store for graphic novels or books and take a look at some of the free examples to see what I am talking about. There are some great examples of picture books and graphic novels available right now and it will only get better. One of the most exciting aspects about this market is that there is almost no format to follow and an electronic book will only be limited by imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment