Monday, May 17, 2010

Book Maps


Lately I have been using a nifty little tool called a book map to help me edit and rewrite my completed stories. Basically it is a storyboard. I can layout a story, rearrange spreads and get a better feel for the flow of the story.

Carol Heyer @ http://www.carolheyer.com/ was kind enough to forward along her version of a book map and I have used it to map out three new stories and edit two others. Along the left margin of her book map she has included four different setups that can be used when a picture book is published making her book map quite versatile. Thanks Carol. She has given me permission to post it here all I ask is if you use it or share it please give her the credit or link to her website.

I modified Carol’s book map a bit to better serve my purposes. I always like books that have unique cover art and unique inside front and inside back cover art. I think that those unofficial “pages” should be used to enrich/extend the story so I added a few extra panels to accommodate that. My book map isn't as versatile as Carol's and I may have to revamp mine at some point but this is the setup that felt most natural to me. Feel free to use my map if you like but I ask that you give credit to me or link to this blog.

I have also been researching illustrator websites and blogs. I came across this useful link and wanted to share it with you: http://www.meghan-mccarthy.com/illustratorsguide.html

1 comment: